Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Joseph Brodsky's Birthday





It was full downstairs in the restaurant while my good friends and I were upstairs in the VIP room. We gathered there to remember Joseph Brodsky, the Russian-born poet who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1987. He passed away 11 years ago, but is still remembered by many people whose lives he’s touched and still lives on in our hearts until this day. We all drank his favorite vodka- Coriande, but didn’t clink our glasses together. We remembered all the good times we had together and one of my friends recited a poem by Khrzhanovsky, which says: “I asked god for an easy life, I should have asked him for an easy death”. We recited poetry, watched the movie “Poltara Kota”, which we dedicated to him. People kept coming and coming, it was another warm night at the Russian Samovar.

No comments: